How to respond to the impacts of Covid-19 on the LGBTI+ community
19 May 2022
The Asia Pacific Forum (APF) has produced guidance for NHRIs on how they can respond to the impacts that the Covid-19 pandemic has had upon the human rights of LGBTI people. The report found that the pandemic has impacted LGBTI communities in many areas and exacerbated pre-existing inequalities, including:
- Loss of income and housing
- Increased health risks
- Declines in mental health
- Domestic and family violence
- Hate Crimes
APF has produced recommendations for NHRIs on how to improve on these inequalities.
The advice includes:
- Recognise LGBTI people as a vulnerable group in the context of Covid-19
- Advise authorities on how to protect and promote their rights
- Educate and raising awareness
- Monitor the impact that Covid-19 had upon the community
- Advocate for laws and policies which will alleviate the negative impacts
- Engage and cooperate with the community.