Toward the Effective Protection of LGBTI Persons Deprived of Liberty: A Monitoring Guide
10 December 2018
This guide from the Association for the Prevention of Torture (APT) is aimed at organisations or institutions, such as NHRIs, that carry out visits and inspections to places of deprivation liberty. It aims to provide:
- Information regarding historic and systemic forms of discrimination targeting LGBTI individuals that are conducive to torture and other ill-treatment;
- Practical guidance on specific aspects of monitoring methodology and issues related to sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and sex characteristics;
- Improve the understanding of risk situations faced by LGBTI persons deprived of liberty to enhance their protection and meet their needs;
- Provide guidance on the situation of LGBTI persons in specific places of deprivation of liberty, namely prisons, police stations, and immigration detention facilities;
- To bring visibility to the issues and contribute to ending stigma and stopping cycles of violence.